This recipe is tasty for the entire family and also makes for part of a perfect school lunch for the kids.
Ingredients: (Serves 4–6)
- 1/2 cup (3/4 oz/25 g) panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) whole milk
- 3/4 lb (375 g) ground beef or turkey
- 1/4 cup (2 oz/60 g) ketchup plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Put 1/4 cup (1/3 oz/10 g) of the bread crumbs in a large bowl. Add the milk and let soak until the crumbs have absorbed the milk completely, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, the remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs, the ketchup, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Using your hands or a rubber spatula, mix gently just until well combined. Do not overmix or the meat loaves will be tough.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the beef mixture into 12 mini loaves each about 3 inches (8 cm) long, 2 inches (5 cm) wide and 11/4 inches (3 cm) high and arrange on the prepared pan 1–2 inches (2.5–5 cm) apart. Or, you can divide the meat mixture into 4–6 equal portions, and pack each portion into a nonstick mini loaf pan.
- If baking freestanding loaves, bake until the bottoms are browned, 20–25 minutes. If using loaf pans, bake until a meat thermometer registers 160°F (71°C) inserted in the center of the loaf, about 25 minutes. Unmold the loaves, if necessary, and serve.