Figuring out what your body needs when you’re in pain can be tough. You might think the pain will go away in a few days, while other times you know immediately that you need to go see a professional for help.
If you’re experiencing physical pain of any kind, especially back pain, you may hear of different recommendations to help. Some people may recommend seeing a chiropractor because many think they help with back pain. Others might recommend massage therapy to help you destress without realizing the other benefits that type of therapy has on the body.
Some might tell you to get both. So what’s the difference?
Overall, the goal of each therapy is the same — to get you back to doing what you love pain-free. However, it’s the practices and goals of each that make them different. Let’s dive into the specifics.
The Goal of Chiropractic Care
A chiropractor is someone who uses spinal and joint manipulations to treat specific medical conditions. All of these actions combine to highlight the fact that if your body structure and your nervous system aren’t in tandem, things don’t work the way they should.
Regular chiropractic care can help treat:
- Joint Pain
- Ear Infections
- Headaches and Migraines
Although most of the time people with back issues see chiropractors, it can be beneficial for people without specific pain issues to see a chiropractor as well. Some of the things your chiropractor might do include:
- Spinal correction: The act of aligning one’s spine
- Physiotherapy: A combination of massage, heat, and manipulation to help a medical condition
- Personalized exercises: Exercises that help align the spine, strengthen the muscles, and relieve pain
- Lifestyle Counseling: Giving you a goal for health and wellness
The Goal of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy is a form of therapy that can have a wide range of benefits, including reduced stress, improved circulation, reduced pain and swelling, and even a stronger immune system. It dates back thousands of years to ancient dynasties as a way to heal.
The benefits of regular massage therapy include:
- Reduced emotional and physical stress
- Less tension
- Increased mobility
- Reduced anxiety
- Better blood flow
- Aromatherapy: Combines essential oils and the therapeutic powers of massage
- Chair massage: A massage that focuses on the neck and shoulders
- Couples Massage: A massage that allows couples to relax and reconnect
- Deep Tissue Massage: Massage that uses slow, firm, and concentrated pressure to relieve tension
- Reflexology: A massage that focuses on the feet
- Swedish Massage: A massage that uses long, smooth gliding strokes to release tension and pressure
A Dynamic Duo
When you look at both massage therapy and chiropractic care, there are a few main similarities:
- They use their hands to help patients
- The treatments work immediately and over time
- They’re drug-free and help avoid surgery
- They promote better body alignment
When you pair the two together, you can create a dynamic duo that helps patients fight back chronic pain and get back to their normal lives.
Massage therapy can help loosen the muscles both before and after an adjustment. A back adjustment can also last longer, thanks to muscle tension being released prior to the practice.
Choose Your Services
At Stucky Chiropractic, we focus on three things for each of our patients:
- Eliminating your pain
- Increasing your mobility
- Helping you feel stronger
Our diverse service offering allows us to provide the best care possible for our patients. Including creating plans that pair massage therapy and chiropractic care. Each patient is different, and we understand that as we focus on what makes you feel better the quickest without pain medication or surgery.
If you’re ready to get more information about massage therapy and chiropractic care services, contact us through our appointment page today. Let’s get you back on your feet pain free.